How to teach Past Simple Of To Be?
Free English Lesson Plan – Past Simple Of To Be – Jobs
The present English Lesson Plan is suitable for ESL/ EFL teachers working with students of A1 (beginner) English level. This lesson plan is free to use in class. Below the lesson plan you will find a link to download the answer sheet.
Lesson Goals: At the end of the lesson, the students should be able to identify, and use the past simple form of the verb “To Be”. They should know the meaning of basic professions suitable for their level, and be familiar with their definitions/ explanations as well.
Target Grammar: Past simple of “to be”
Target Vocabulary: Jobs
1. Match the profession with its definition.
|1. doctor||a) a person who teaches at a school or a college|
|2. driver||b) a person who makes pictures with paint|
|3. teacher||c) a person who learns at a school or a college|
|4. student||d) a person who drives a car, a bus, a truck etc.|
|5. waiter||e) a person who helps people when they are ill|
|6. painter||f) a person who brings food to people in a restaurant|
2. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.My name is Tony. My brother was a ____________, and his____________ Ana was a teacher. They were both ____________ at their jobs. My brother’s wife loved to ____________ at school. The children were ____________ and loved their teacher. When I was a kid I wanted to be a doctor ____________ but I was a waiter in a____________. It was a good job for me, because I love to be around ____________. The restaurant was very nice. It had ____________, nice tables, and very good food.
3. Answer the following questions.
- What was Tony?
- Was Tony’s brother a teacher?
- Did Tony work in a big restaurant with very good food?
- What was Tony’s brother’s wife?
- How did the children at school feel about their teacher?
- When Tony was a kid, what did he want to be?
- What did Ana want to be when she was a kid?
- Was Tony’s brother a good doctor?
4. Mark the statements T for true, and F for false.
- Tony was a teacher and the children at school loved him.
- Ana was a doctor and she hated her job.
- The children were very happy.
- Tony worked in a very small restaurant with small windows and bad food.
- Tony’s brother was a doctor and he was very good at his job.
- Tony wanted to be a waiter when he was little.
Review the Present Simple Tense of “To Be”. Look at how it changes in Past Simple Tense.
|To Be (Present Simple)||To Be (Past Simple)|
|I am||I was|
|You are||You were|
|He is||He was|
|She is||She was|
|It is||It was|
|We are||We were|
|You are||You were|
|They are||They were|
1. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb „to be“.
- Ana _______ a teacher.
- Tony _______ a waiter and he loved his job.
- Ana’s husband _______ Tony’s brother, and he _______ a doctor.
- Tony wanted to be a doctor like his brother when he _______ little.
- The restaurant _______ very big.
- The children at school _______very happy.
2. Correct the mistakes in the sentences.
|I worked in a bank, so I was a pilot.||(banker)|
|My sister were a teacher.||(was)|
- My sister was a driver, so she painted pictures.
- Tony’s brother were a doctor, and he loved his job.
- Ana were a very good teacher and the children loved her.
- David was a waiter, so he worked in a bank.
- Tony worked in a restaurant, so he was a student.
- The children studied at school, so they were doctors.
3. Underline the correct word.
|My mother teaches English, so she is a (teacher/doctor).|
- My brother goes to school, so he is a (student/ doctor).
- My best friend drives a bus, so he is a (teacher/ driver).
- Tony brings food to people in a restaurant, so he is a (student/ waiter).
- Ana teaches Math, so she is a (teacher/ banker).
- I paint pictures, so I am a (painter/ driver).
- David helps people when they are ill, so he is a (doctor/ teacher).
1. Go around the class and ask five people about their grandfather’s/ grandmother’s jobs.
For Example: “What was your grandfather? He was a doctor.”
2. Report to the class.
Images used in this lesson plan thanks to MyCuteGraphics
From Our Shop