A quick message
If you are using this website on Chrome mobile, and activate Simplified View, you will not be able to download your files because Simplified View allows reading only. For the full functionality of this website, please use Firefox on mobile or do not activate Simplified View. 🙂 To disable Simplified View, click the X sign when the message below appears at the bottom of your screen. If you activated Simplified View, restart your page, and you will be able to see the X sign to disable it.
English Lesson Plan for Beginners (A1) – Past Simple of To Be – Jobs
Lesson Goals: At the end of the lesson, the students should be able to identify, and use the past simple form of the verb “To Be”. They should know the meaning of basic professions suitable for their level, and be familiar with their definitions/ explanations as well.
Target Grammar: Past simple of “To Be”
Target Vocabulary: Jobs
1. Match the profession with its definition.
a person who teaches at a school or a college
a person who drives a car, a bus, a truck etc.
a person who helps people when they are ill
a person who makes pictures with paint
a person who studies at a school or a college
a person who brings food to people in a restaurant
2. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.
Please note, there are no audio files available for this fill-in-the-blanks exercise. The teacher must read the text for their students.
My name is Tony. My brother was a ____________, and his____________ Ana was a teacher. They were both ________________ at their jobs. My brother’s wife loved to _____________ at school. The children were _______________ and loved their teacher.
When I was a kid I wanted to be a doctor ______________ but I was a waiter in a________________. It was a good job for me, because I love to be around ______________. The restaurant was very nice. It had ____________, nice tables, and very good food.
3. Answer the following questions.
- What was Tony?
- Was Tony’s brother a teacher?
- Did Tony work in a big restaurant with very good food?
- What was Tony’s brother’s wife?
- How did the children at school feel about their teacher?
- When Tony was a kid, what did he want to be? ____________________________________________
- What did Ana want to be when she was a kid?
- Was Tony’s brother a good doctor?
4. Mark the statements T for true, and F for false.
- Tony was a teacher and the children at school loved him. ___
- Ana was a doctor and she hated her job. ___
- The children were very happy. ___
- Tony worked in a very small restaurant with small windows and bad food. ___
- Tony’s brother was a doctor and he was very good at his job. ___
- Tony wanted to be a waiter when he was little. ___
Review the Present Simple Tense of “To Be”.
Look at how it changes in Past Simple Tense.
|I am||I was|
|You are||You were|
|He/ She is||He/ She was|
|We are||We were|
|You are||You were|
|They are||They were|
1. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb „to be“.
- Ana _______ a teacher.
- Tony _______ a waiter and he loved his job.
- Ana’s husband ______ Tony’s brother, and he _____ a doctor.
- Tony wanted to be a doctor like his brother when he _____ little.
- The restaurant _______ very big.
- The children at school ______ very happy.
2. Correct the mistakes in the sentences.
Example: I worked in a bank, so I was a
- My sister was a driver, so she painted pictures. ( ___________ )
- Tony’s brother were a doctor, and he loved his job. ( ___________ )
- Ana were a very good teacher and the children loved her. ( ___________ )
- David was a waiter, so he worked in a bank. ( ___________ )
- Tony worked in a restaurant, so he was a student. ( ___________ )
- The children studied at school, so they were doctors. ( ___________ )
3. Underline the correct word in brackets.
- My mother teaches English, so she is a (teacher/doctor).
- My brother goes to school, so he is a (student/ doctor).
- My best friend drives a bus, so he is a (teacher/ driver).
- Tony brings food to people in a restaurant, so he is a (student/ waiter).
- Ana teaches Math, so she is a (teacher/ banker).
- I paint pictures, so I am a (painter/ driver).
- David helps people when they are ill, so he is a (doctor/ teacher).
1. Go around the class and ask five people about their grandfather’s/ grandmother’s jobs.
Example: “What was your grandfather? He was a doctor.”
2. Report to the class.
DOWNLOAD YOUR FILES