ESL/ EFL lower intermediate lesson plan – adverbs of time – sports and games
Lesson Goals: At the end of the this lesson students will learn about adverbs of time in English, how and when to use them. Also, they will learn new sports and games vocabulary.
Target Grammar: Adverbs of time (including yesterday, today, now, then, soon, etc.)
Focus Vocabulary: Sports and Games
Please note this is not the complete lesson. The complete lesson includes more activities, and an audio file for listening. If you would like to get the full lesson plan, please click here.
[adrotate banner=”12″] [adrotate banner=”7″]
1. Connect the words with the pictures.
2. Listen to the story and fill in the blanks.
My ___________ Tim likes all kinds of ___________ . Yesterday, he told me he ___________ to be a football ___________ , and now he says he wants to play ___________ . I am sure that he will ___________ something else ___________ . Maybe swimming or ___________ , I don’t know. I ___________ he should just play with his ___________ on the playground.
(in the past, now, or in the future)
Some adverbs of time are:
yesterday, today, now, tonight, tomorrow, then, soon, next, later, etc.
- Adverbs of time usually go at the beginning or the end of the sentence
- Yesterday, Tim and I went swimming.
- Tim and I went swimming yesterday.
1. Correct the mistakes in the sentences.
- Tim yesterday told his sister that he wants to play hockey.
- I want to first of all go to the park and play some chess.
- I’ll watch the game on TV, and I’ll go running after.
- We’ll first play basketball, and we’ll play then table tennis.
2. Underline the correct adverb of time in the brackets.
- I bought a new puzzle for my son (yesterday, tomorrow).
- We are going surfing (now, after, before).
- I’ll be late for the show, I am interviewing a famous hockey player (beforehand, next, tomorrow).
- We’ll play cards (tomorrow, later, next), not now.
1.You will play 5 games/ sports on Saturday. Make a plan and report it to the class. Use adverbs of time.
Here is another lesson plan we have on sports and games:
Sports and Games ESL Lesson Plan for Beginners (A1) – Modals – can/ can’t/ could/ couldn’t
[abcf-grid-gallery-custom-links id=”1599″] [adrotate banner=”10″] [adrotate banner=”11″]