English Lesson Plan On Hobbies – Love/ Hate/ Like
Lesson Goals: In this lesson, the students will learn how to talk about things they like/ love, or hate. In the end, they should be able to talk about their hobbies as well.
Target English Grammar: Verb + ing: like/hate/love
Target English Vocabulary: Hobbies
*You can download the key below.
Here is a video on Love/Hate/Like + Verb + Ing. *Formation and Usage in brief
1. Match the verbs with their definitions.
|1. swim||a) to travel on a horse|
|2. ride||b) to make pictures with a pencil|
|3. draw||c) to make music with your mouth|
|4. drive||d) to move through water|
|5. dance||e) to move around in a car|
|6. sing||f) to move your body while listening to music|
2. Unscramble the conversations.
|Beth: I want to go camping or dancing.||Rajiv: I love singing. Let’s go!|
|Beth: How about karaoke? Do you like singing?||Rajiv: I don’t really. Why?|
|Beth: Rajiv, do you like camping?||Rajiv: I hate dancing.|
|Ricardo: Sure, I love going there.||Andre: Do you want to come with me to the gallery?|
|Ricardo: Amazing picture, Andre!||Andre: Let’s go.|
|Ricardo: I also like it, but I like drawing more.||Andre: Thank you! I love painting.|
3. Answer the questions.
1. What does Beth want?
2. Does Rajiv like dancing?
3. What does Rajiv like?
4. Who is Ricardo’s friend?
5. What does Ricardo like?
6. What is Andre good at?
7. Where are they going?
8. Does Ricardo like dancing
|When we want to say that we like or don’t like doing something we use the pattern:
like/hate/love +Verb + ing
1. Listen to the text and correct the mistakes.
Paula is my cousin. She is berry smart because she likes read. She also love drawing pictures of animals because it wants to make children’s books when she grows up. But she hates swim because she is afraid of the water. She never come to the beach. I love swimming and play in the sea. I want her to come with me some time.
2. Do you like hate/ love….? Put the verbs from the list in a category of your choice.
paint / swim / dance / ride / read / draw / drive / go for a picnic / walk / travel / sleep
3. Look at the table above. Write six sentences beginning with: I like…; I hate…;I love…;E.g. I like drawing pictures.
4. Match the beginning of the sentence from Column A with its ending from Column B.
1. I woke up at 10 a.m. I really
2. Petra has a horse. She
3. My parents are in Brazil. They like
4. John loves driving his car but
5. Francois bakes delicious cakes. He
6. Martha bought some milk. She
7. His brother is an artist. He
8. Do you really like reading
a) likes riding it.
b) love sleeping.
d) loves painting.
e) books so much?
f) hates drinking black coffee.
g) he hates walking.
h) likes eating.