Going to + Inf. English Lesson Plan For Lower Intermediate Learners (A2)
Planning My Weekend
Lesson Goals: At the end of this English lesson, the students should be able to use “be going to” in order to explain what their plans are for the future.
Target Grammar: be going to＋infinitive verbs(usage: intention, prediction)
Target Vocabulary: leisure/ weekend activities
1. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.
Or use the video we’ve created. *The text is slightly different.
My __________ and I are going to have the most amazing weekend together! We are going to see some __________ and eat out on Friday evening. Then, on __________, we are going to make some sandwiches and go on a picnic ___________________________. I love the trees in spring. The weather is going to be __________ and warm. I am going to _______________________ and relax. On Sunday, I am going to work out, and my sister is going to __________ the internet. After that, we are going to rent a __________ and spend the evening at home.
2. Mark the statements T for true, F for false.
- My sister is going to surf the internet on Sunday.
- The weather is going to be very cold.
- I am not going to relax, because I will be very busy.
- We are going to make some sandwiches and go to the park.
- I am going to spend Sunday evening at home.
- We are not going to eat out on Friday evening.
3. Match the questions in Column A with the answers in Column B.
|Column A||Column B|
|Are you going to visit your grandfather on Sunday?||The Tigers. They are the best.|
|Who is Ann going to invite to her party?||No, I visited him last weekend.|
|When is it going to stop raining?||John, Ben, and Mariko.|
|Are you going to go camping with Christina?||He will bring a tent for sure.|
|Who, do you think, is going to win?||I guess next week.|
|What is Manolo going to pack for the trip?||Yes, I promised her.|
We use To be+going to+Verb (inf.) when:
1. we want to talk about a planned action for the future.
For example: I am going to visit you on Wednesday.
2. we are making a prediction.
For example: It’s really cold. I’m sure it is going to snow tomorrow.
1. Rewrite the sentences.For example: I will visit my grandfather on Sunday. = I am going to visit my grandfather on Sunday.
- I will play chess with my friend Manolo next Monday.
- My father will take my little sister to the doctor tomorrow.
- My brother and I will travel to Europe next month.
- My friends will go to the dance club without me.
- We will buy a new house next year.
- My grandmother will read me a bedtime story before I go to bed.
- David’s teacher will take the class to the park for a lesson.
- Marina will paint a very beautiful picture with flowers.
2. Complete the sentences with the phrases from the box.
|on the weekend | birthday party | going to go | buy her a present | concert ticket|
Silvia is a university student. During the week she studies very hard. ___________________, she usually does something fun. Next Saturday is her birthday. She is going to have a ___________________ and is going to invite all her friends. Usually, she likes camping but this time they are ___________________ dancing because the weather is going to get colder. On Friday Silvia’s friends are going to ___________________. She likes music, so a ___________________ will be a good idea.
3. Underline the correct verb phrase.
- Sofia is going/ are going to go shopping on Sunday.
- My parents is going/ are going to visit me tomorrow.
- They is going/ are going to go camping this summer.
- It is going to/ are going to get warmer.
- We is going/ are going to invite many people to our party.
- The snow am going to/ is going to continue over a week.
- I is going/ am going to play tennis the day after tomorrow.
- Sue and Ivan am going/ are going to go skiing this winter.
- Paula am going/ is going to start swimming lessons.
- It is going to/ am going to rain tomorrow.
1. Check the pictures. Make predictions.
2. Write down your plans for the weekend in five sentences.
Clip art used in this lesson: MyCuteGraphics