A quick message
If you are using this website on Chrome mobile, and activate Simplified View, you will not be able to download your files because Simplified View allows reading only. For the full functionality of this website, please use Firefox on mobile or do not activate Simplified View. 🙂 To disable Simplified View, click the X sign when the message below appears at the bottom of your screen. If you activated Simplified View, restart your page, and you will be able to see the X sign to disable it.
Lesson goals: At the end of this lesson students will learn how to form and when to use Gerund (the -ing form of the verb). They will be able to talk about education, studying, and different classroom activities. Also, students will learn important English vocabulary about studying and subjects at school suitable for this level.
Target English Grammar: Gerund (the -ing form of the verb)
Target Vocabulary: Education and studying
1. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.
My ______________ teacher keeps saying that history is very ______________ because it teaches us not to make the same ______________ again. I ______________ asking her once how ______________ does that, and she ______________ that it tells us what we did ______________ so we don’t do it ______________ .
2. Mark the statements T for true, F for false:
- The history teacher keeps saying that history is not important. ____
- The teacher explained that history tells us what we did wrong. ____
- The history teacher said that we can make the same mistakes again. ____
- The student says that history is very important. ____
GERUND is the -ing form of the verb | verb+ing = gerund
How to form it?
- teach + ing + teaching
- talk + ing + talking
When to use it?
- after some verbs (begin, enjoy, keep, etc.)
- instead of a noun
He began teaching when he was 31.
He keeps talking about his favorite teacher.
Studying English is important.
1. Form gerund from the verbs in brackets.
The physics teacher began (to write) on the board. – The physics teacher began writing on the board.
- You should practice (to speak) ________________ English more often.
- The teacher missed (to work)________________ with the children.
- (To study) ________________ hard is important.
- (To exercise) ________________ can help you get better.
2. Match the verbs with their gerund.
|1. teach||A) failing|
|2. fail||B) doing|
|3. study||C) teaching|
|4. do||D) studying|
3. Underline the correct answer.
- Sally is interested in (study, pass, teaching) math.
- Donald keeps (writing, speaking, work) on the board.
- (Studying, talking, test) languages is difficult.
- Mary dreams about (becoming, be, try) a headteacher.
Role Play: Student A is a history teacher marking tests. Student B is a student. Make a dialogue.