A quick message: If you happen to use Simplified Mode on Google Chrome, the interactive and download features will not work for you. Please consider Firefox or do not activate Simplified Mode. 😎
Lesson Goals: At the end of the lesson, students should be able to form and use Simple Past, be familiar with the formation, and word order in negative sentences and questions.
Target Grammar: Past Simple
Target Vocabulary: Action Verbs
EFL Lesson Plan For Teachers – Past Simple Tense and Action Verbs
1. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.
Last ____________ I did a lot of things. On Saturday, I went to see a friend. We went to the park and played chess there. I went back ____________ in the late afternoon and played ____________ music on my computer.
Later that evening, I watched my favorite ____________ on TV and went to bed very late.
2. Match the verbs with their Past Tense.
Encourage your learners to watch the videos below, and do the interactive activities as they learn. Remind them that this is not a test, it is just for fun, so there is no problem if they don’t get it right. 🙂
want+ed → wanted
work+ed → worked
|Verb, ending in – e+d |
dance+d → danced
|Verbs, ending in –y: y → i + ed|
(* There are exceptions! For example, played.)
|One vowel verb: double the consonant|
stop → stopped
blog → blogged
Irregular verbs do not follow the rules above. In most cases, you will need to learn by heart.
Look at some of the most common irregular verbs
|Present Simple||Past Simple|
1. Fill in the blanks in the table.
2. Rewrite the verbs in the past tense.
- My father works ____________ as a policeman.
- Three kids play ___________ outside.
- I listen ________ to music and play__________ cards.
- I walk _________ in the park with my best friends.
3. Put the story in order. Rewrite in the past tense.
- Monika (works) late last Friday.
- Then she (miss) the bus and (take) a taxi back home.
- She (has) a lot of work to do, and (has) to stay in the office until 7.30 pm.
- After dinner, they (watch) a movie together and (go) to bed at 11.30 pm.
4. Underline the correct option.
- I (say, think, told) Martin to give me the book.
- She (answered, brings, run) the phone.
- The family (swim, bought, jump) the house last April.
- My brother and I (fed, dress, come) our two cats.
1. What did you do last summer holiday? Write 6-8 sentences.
2. Ask your partner 10 Yes/ No questions about their last weekend.