A quick message
We’ve received complaints that you are not able to download your files on mobile. We think we know what the issue is! If you are using this website on Chrome mobile, and activate Simplified View, you will not be able to download your files because Simplified View allows reading only. For those of you who need the full functionality of this website, please use Firefox or do not activate Simplified View. 🙂
To disable Simplified View, click the X sign when this message appears at the bottom of your screen.
If you activated Simlpified View, restart your page, and you will be able to see the X sign to disable it.
Lesson Goals: At the end of the lesson, students should be able to form and use Simple Past, be familiar with the formation, and word order in negative sentences and questions.
Target Grammar: Past Simple
Target Vocabulary: Action Verbs
ESL/EFL Lesson Plan For Teachers – Past Simple Tense and Action Verbs
1. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.
Last ____________ I did aLast ____________ I did a lot of things. On Saturday, I went to see a friend. We went to the park and played chess there. I went back ____________ in the late afternoon and played ____________ music on my computer.
Later that evening, I watched my favorite ____________ on TV and went to bed very late.
2. Match the verbs with their Past Tense.
want+ed → wanted
work+ed → worked
|Verb, ending in – e+d |
dance+d → danced
|Verbs, ending in –y: y → i + ed|
(* There are exceptions! For example, played.)
cry→ cried try→ tried
|One vowel verb: double the consonant|
stop → stopped
blog → blogged
There is no rule for the formation of irregular verbs. You have to memorize them!
Look at some of the most common irregular verbs
|Present Simple||Past Simple|
1. Fill in the blanks in the table.
2. Rewrite the verbs in the past tense.
- My father works ____________ as a policeman.
- Three kids play ___________ outside.
- I listen ________ to music and play__________ cards.
- I walk _________ in the park with my best friends.
3. Put the story in order. Rewrite in the past tense.
- Monika (works) late last Friday.
- Then she (miss) the bus and (take) a taxi back home.
- She (has) a lot of work to do, and (has) to stay in the office until 7.30 pm.
- After dinner, they (watch) a movie together and (go) to bed at 11.30 pm.
4. Underline the correct option.
- I (say, think, told) Martin to give me the book.
- She (answered, brings, run) the phone.
- The family (swim, bought, jump) the house last April.
- My brother and I (fed, dress, come) our two cats.
1. What did you do last summer holiday? Write 6-8 sentences.
2. Ask your partner 10 Yes/ No questions about their last weekend.