ESL/ EFL lower intermediate lesson plan – Future Actions – Invitations
Lesson Functions: Invitations: accepting/ rejecting invitations
Target Grammar: Tenses for future actions: Present Continuous/ Future Simple/ Going to + infinitive (Review)
Focus Vocabulary: Special Events
Please note, this is REVIEW lesson! Students must already be familiar with the tenses for future actions included in this lesson. At best, the new to them should be invitations, and how to accept, or reject an invitation.
1. Look at the invitations. Discuss them.
2. Listen to the text. Fill in the blanks.
I’d love to go to Sabrina’s birthday. It’s __________ of her to invite me. I need to __________ though. I’m not going to that party, wearing jeans. So, on Saturday and __________, I am going shopping for a birthday gift, and __________ to wear.
Using different tenses to talk about future events, when to use them and what is the difference in the meaning.
2. Future plans that have been decided (For example: I am getting married.)
2. Predictions made on personal judgement (For example: I think Elena will enjoy the trip.)
2. Predictions based on evidence (For example: John is going to study in Harvard.)
3. Intentions that have been decided ( For example: I am going to invite her as well.)
|How to make an invitation:|
|Would you like to + inf…?||How about + ing…?|
1. Finish the sentences. Choose from the words in the box.
|Would you like to come with me to the movies?|
|Sure, I __________||Sorry, I __________|
|How about coming with us to Paris for Christmas?|
|I’d love to but , I __________||Of course, I __________|
2. Change the verb tense from Future Simple to Present Continuous and Going to + infinitive. Discuss how the meaning changes.
- Juanita will dance to her favorite song.
- Alice and Sergei will come hiking with us.
- Will you join us for dinner tonight?
1. Work in pairs. Write an invitation in the form of an e-mail. “Send” it to your friend. He/ she needs to either accept or decline your invitation in an e-mail.
[abcf-grid-gallery-custom-links id=”1599″] [adrotate banner=”10″] [adrotate banner=”11″]