[adrotate banner=”7″] [adrotate banner=”12″]
Present Perfect Tense – My Family – A2 Lower Intermediate ESL lesson plan
Lesson goals: At the end of this lesson will be able to understand how to form and use Present Perfect tense. They will be able to talk about things that have happened in their lives. Also, students will learn key English vocabulary about family members and relationships suitable for this level.
Target English grammar: Present Perfect Tense
Target Vocabulary: Family and relationships
* The Answer Sheet is available for download below.
1. Listen to Lisa’s story and fill in the blanks.
My ………. got married when they were ……….. They have lived ………. for more than 42 ………. now. When my ………. was 21 she had a ………., my uncle. My uncle is ………. too. He has been married to my ………. for 10 years.
2. Answer the questions in full sentences:
Examples: How long have your parents been married? – They/My parents have been married for 20 years.
- When did Lisa’s grandparents marry?
- How long have they lived together?
- How old was Lisa’s grandma when she had a son?
- Is Lisa’s uncle married?
1. How to form Present Perfect Tense:
Present Perfect Tense is formed by using the past participle form of the verb.
- past participle = 3rd form of the verb (know – knew – known)
2. When to use Present Perfect Tense:
We use Present Perfect Tense to talk about things that happened in the past, but we can still see the result now.
Example: My grandparents have lived together for 42 years. *They still live together now.
1. Make the verb in brackets Present Perfect Tense.
- Tony’s girlfriend (to work) for the same company since 2010.
- My brother (to visit) New York three times.
- My aunt (to be) a teacher for 12 years now.
- My neighbor (to be) single for 1 year.
2. Make questions from the sentences.
- David’s sisters have lived there for 3 years.
- My cousin has seen this movie before.
- Sally has always ridden her bike to work.
- They have always had a cat.