Possessive ‘s, s’ – A2 English Lesson Plan – Family Members
Lesson Goals:At the end of this English lesson, the students should learn and be able to use vocabulary identifying the different members of the family.They will be able to recognize and use –s’, and –‘s in order to indicate possession.
Target Grammar:Possessive ‘s, s’
Target Vocabulary:Family Members
The Answer Sheet is available for download below.
1. Put the conversations in order.
|Mum: Tommy, are your father’s keys in the kitchen?||Tommy: OK. Do you need anything else?|
|Mum: No, one is your brother’s. Anyway, give me both.||Tommy: I see two key chains here. Are they both dad’s?|
|Mum: Yes, please get me you sister’s laptop, and my bag.|
|David: Of course I am. What should I do?||Alex: Well, call his name. He will not be afraid of you, and we’ll get him home later.|
|David: Look, that’s my cousin’s dog Rex! Why is he alone on the street?||Alex: Are you sure he’s your cousin’s?|
|Rie: Thank you! What about your parents? What were they wearing?||Lana: Sure, next time I’ll bring my parents’ wedding album.|
|Rie: Will you show me a picture?||Lana: Wow, your mom’s kimono is nice!|
|Rie: This is a picture from my parents’ wedding.||Lana: My dad was wearing a black tuxedo, and my mom’s dress was an amazingly beautiful white gown.|
2. Write down the missing word or definition.
aunt: your mother’s (father’s) sister
- cousin: __________________
- __________________: your mother’s (father’s) mother
- __________________: your mother’s (father’s) father
- __________________: your mother’s brother
- sister: __________________
- brother: __________________
|When we want to show that something belongs to somebody we use -‘s, -s’.
We use –‘s for singular, and –s’ for plural.
|my sister’s cat (1 sister)||my sisters’ cats (many sisters)|
|your friend’s car (1 friend)||your friends’ cars (many friends)|
1. Listen to text and fill in the gaps with words from the box.
|friend | policeman | house | brother | mother’s | animals|
Hi, my name is Mia, and I am 12 years-old. My ____________ name is Ana. She is 40 years-old. My father’s name is Alexander and he is a ___________. He is 45 years-old. We live in a big _________ close to the beach. We have a dog, and her name is Terra. My mother’s favorite ___________ are cats and that is why we have two cats. The cats’ names are Tiny and Bella. I also have an older __________ who doesn’t live with us. My brother’s hamster Danny does, and he is my best_________.
2. Answer the following questions.
- What is Mia’s mother’s name?
- How old is Mia’s mother?
- Are the cats’ names Tiny and Bella?
- Who is Mia’s best friend?
- What does the girl’s father do?
- Does Mia’s older brother live in the family house at the beach?
3. Make questions for the following answers.
- The hamster’s name is Danny.
- Mia’s mother’s favorite animals are cats.
- The dog’s name is Terra.
- Danny, the hamster is her best friend.
- He is Mia’s brother’s pet.
- Mia’s father is 45 years-old.
4. Replace the underlined words.
My mother’s sister is on vacation with her son and daughter. When they are in town, they visit us very often. I love to play with my aunt’s son and daughter, they are very nice. My father’s father likes fishing and cooking. When we visit him with my father’s brother, he always cooks something nice for dinner. I like spending time with my father’s father and mother, because they always read the best bed-time stories, and let me help in the kitchen. Sometimes my father’s mother says that I make a mess, but when I grow up I will be a very good cook, just like my father’s father.