Lesson Goals: At the end of the lesson, students should be able to form and use past simple tense, be familiar with the formation and word order in negative sentences and questions.
Target Grammar: Past Simple
Target Vocabulary: Action Verbs
* The Answer Sheet for this English Lesson Plan is available for download below.
ESL/EFL Lesson Plan For Teachers
Past Simple Tense and Action Verbs
1. Listen to the text and fill in the blanks.
Last ____________ I did a lot of things. On Saturday, I went to see a friend. We went to the park and
played chess there. I went back ____________ in the late afternoon and played some music on my computer.
Later that evening, I watched my favourite ____________ on TV and went to bed very late.
Next morning, I spoke with my friend on the ____________, but I could not visit him because I had to help my dad in the garage. There, we made a bird feeder for the ____________ that fly around our house.
2. Match the verbs with their Past Tense.
want+ed → wanted
work+ed → worked
|Verb, ending in – e+d
dance+d → danced
|Verbs, ending in –y: y → i + ed
(* There are exceptions (for example played) )
|One vowel verb: double the consonant
stop → stopped
blog → blogged
There is no rule for the formation of irregular verbs. You have to memorize them!
Look at some of the most common irregular verbs
|begin – began
find – found
drive – drove
forget – forgot
break – broke
go – went
keep – kept
hear – heard
know – knew
make – made
|build – built
read – read*
put – put
think – thought
write – wrote
understand – understood
meet – met
fly – flew
become – became
come – came
1. Fill in the blanks in the table.
2. Rewrite the sentences in past tense.
- My father works as a policeman.
- Three kids play outside.
- I listen to music and play cards.
- I walk in the park with my best friends.
- We write a story about our families.
- I go to school and then I come back home.
- They run around the house.
- Your mother goes to the mall.
3. Put the story in order. Rewrite in past tense.
- Monika works late last Friday.
- Then she miss the bus and take a taxi back home.
- She has a lot of work to do, and has to stay in the office until 7.30 pm.
- After dinner, they watch a movie together and go to bed at 11.30pm.
- When she comes home she starts cooking.
- He wants pizza, so his dad orders some pizza on the phone.
- Monika’s son Daniel does not like his dinner at all, and does not want to eat it.
- At about 9pm dinner is finally ready and everybody sits at the table.
4. Underline the correct option.
- I (say, think, told) Martin to give me the book.
- She (answered, brings, run) the phone.
- The family (swim, bought, jump) the house last April.
- My brother and I (fed, dress, come) our two cats.
- Our friend Sonya (drive, ate, saw) a very famous actor last week.
- I (cleaned, wash, think) my room yesterday, so I can play today.
1. What did you do last summer holiday? Write 6-8 sentences.
2. Ask your partner 10 Yes/ No questions about their last weekend.